The Ox Mountains Cycling Club was formed in 2013 to develop and promote the sport of cycling in the South Sligo and surrounding areas. The club caters for all levels of cycling, from those of you thinking of getting back on two wheels to the more experienced cyclist already pushing up the km’s.
Weekly cycling spins of varying distances and pace are organized from mid-week to weekend. Members introductory and beginner group rides are accompanied by a group leader who gives instruction on the essential skills and technique of road bike riding during the session.
Through our affiliation to Cycling Ireland, all club members are covered for personal injury, and third party damage/liability insurance. This cover extends to all members while out training or cycling on your own and covers you while partaking in organized and club events.
The club hosts a number of key events over the course of the year, from family runs to sportives and on to the more enduring mountain route challenges.
Training programmes and coaching will be offered from our own Cycling Ireland trained coaches. Our location in the Ox Mountains also offers members the opportunity to partake in off-road mountain biking, another activity that is on our development plans for the future.
Cycling is one of the fastest growing and most popular sports right now. By joining The Ox Mountains Cycling Club you are joining a community where not only will you be insured while you cycle, you will also enjoy the social and physical benefits of the sport. Membership offers a great introduction to the sport of cycling and participating in leisure events is a fun and social way of keeping fit and seeing some beautiful parts of the country.
Aims and objectives of The Ox Mountains Cycling Club
- To develop and promote the sport of cycling in the South Sligo and surrounding areas and to bring cycling to as many people as possible.
- To provide an avenue for club members to participate in competitive events by having affiliations to governing bodies (Cycling Ireland, Cycling Time Trials, MTB, etc.)
- To provide a focus for recreational cyclists and promote the sport at all levels.
- To deliver training programmes and encourage children in the wider community to learn bike handling skills, rules of the road, and pure enjoyment of cycling.
- To be open to all, and to encourage cycling for everyone.
Our membership is growing by the day and we always welcome new members, from those who want to ride socially and at a leisurely pace, to the serious riders looking for something a little more challenging.
The recently formed Ox Mountains Cycling Club is always welcoming new members.